This flourless chocolate cake is easy to make and delicious. Perfect for your gluten-free and non-gluten-free friends alike. Top with salt flakes or a dusting of powdered sugar accompanied by whipped cream, creme fraiche or ice cream, and a little fruit if available.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1 C. unsalted butter
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken
- 1/4 C. heavy whipping cream
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 C. cocoa powder
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- Grease 9″ springform pan and dust with cocoa powder. Optional to use a round of parchment paper on the bottom. Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Melt the butter with the heavy whipping cream over medium heat in a heavy saucepan, stirring regularly until combined.
- Add the chocolate and continue stirring until smooth, and remove from heat.
- Whisk eggs, cocoa powder and granulated sugar in a medium bowl, then whisk in the warm chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Optional to sprinkle 1 tsp.salt flakes
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until firm to touch.
- When you are baking, you can usually smell if something is ready — so pay close attention as the cooking time nears.
- I almost always run my knife around the edge while the cake is warm as it seems to come away from the edge easier. Then let it fully cool before removing it (cake is quite puffed when it comes out but will lose about half its height). Warm heightened cake pictured below.
- Removing the cake from the pan once cool: Run a knife between the cake and the springform base; flip the cake onto a flat surface (like a small cutting board) that is covered with a clean tea towel; remove the bottom of the springform, and parchment if used; lift the cutting board and invert onto cake plate; gently lift cutting board and tea towel
- If you did not use salt flakes, optional to sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the cake (pictured below)
Thanks to Real Simple for this recipe.