You’ll never want brownies from a mix ever again. These are easy to make (not much harder than a store bought mix) and they taste much much better. Nothing worse that making something complicated from scratch, only to have it taste no better than a mix. Keep unsweetened chocolate on hand (only 2 oz. per batch) plus your staples (butter, sugar, eggs, flour etc.) and you can have these ready in an hour.
Katharine Hepburn's Brownies
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 T. salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 8×8 glass pan.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter and chocolate together.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar, then beat in the eggs and vanilla. It will look a little like custard.
- Gently stir in salt and flour (save the salt flakes for the top).
- Scrape into pan and sprinkle salt flakes evenly over top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
These can be a little tricky to get out of the pan. One trick that I’ll be trying next time I make these is lining the pan and the edges with parchment paper, so I can lift the whole batch out and cut on a board.