I love this pesto that’s made without oil and cheese, and now I use it as a healthy dip for crackers or veggies, or as a sauce for pasta or zucchini noodles. Easy to make with a food processor.
Healthy Vegan Pesto
- 2 c. basil leaves
- 6 oz. firm organic (non-GMO) tofu
- 1/4 c. pine nuts
- 1/8 c. nutritional yeast
- Juice of one lime (or more to taste)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- Place all ingredients in a food processor
- Process until smooth, stopping to push down from the sides as needed
- Add extra lime juice for a runnier sauce
- Add additional salt to taste and pulse again. Serve.
- I like to toss this with warm whole wheat pasta (add little of the pasta water to thin it if you like), then toss in arugula so the pesto is spread all over the pasta and greens
- If you don’t have nutritional yeast, you could go without or try a little parmesan; I’ll admit that I’ve never tried that, but let me know if you do.
- Makes a great dip for crackers and veggies.