Brown rice is easy to cook — but you need an hour. Try and make a little extra to have on hand for re-heating when you’re short for time. This is my favorite.
- 1 C short organic brown rice
- 2 C vegetable stock
- 1 T butter (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Bring the stock to a boil.
- Add the rice, butter and salt. Stir briefly, cover, and reduce heat to low (making sure it stays at a simmer)
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, checking at 50 to make sure you haven’t boiled away all the stock.
- I have tried rice cookers but they actually take longer for brown rice so I’ve given up (and it’s one less appliance in my kitchen). But, if you are busy at work, or you want rice for breakfast, or you have everyone eating hours apart, a rice cooker can be great because it needs little attention and it keeps the rice warm.
- Just 1 T butter gives of quite a bit of flavor. My meat eaters thought this wasn’t vegetarian, assuming that I had used chicken stock.
- Rice re-heats well either in a small covered frying pan, with a little water, or in the microwave (best covered with an extra plate or bowl — not plastic wrap!)
This is already vegetarian. Just eliminate the butter to make it vegan. No need to substitute oil.